Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Last night, our class saw The Good Fight, a documentary on the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. One of the parts of the documentary that stayed with me most was the part where one of the veterans asked "Is it possible to win 'The Good Fight'?" He argues that the defeat in Spain can symbolize the tragedy of the human condition- the defeat of the romantic and ideal. It was a tragedy which none of the veterans seemed to ever get over, even though fascism was eventually defeated and democracy prevailed. At the very end of the movie, a young boy in the 1970's says to one of the veterans in a parade: "I hope my generation has as much courage as your generation had." I began wondering why my generation isn't as politicalized, and even as aware, as the youth of the 1930's. I know that I have not yet been very politicized myself, even though oppression of liberty still occurs throughout the world, such as in Darfur, and threats to American democracy and safety occur, most prominently Al Qaeda and 9/11. It is probably because although these things still exist, the Great Depression has been overcome, and I feel like I can afford to ignore world, and even national issues of safety and politics. In many ways, "the Good Fight" has won. Democracy defeated a terrible streak of fascism and genocide in Europe in the 1940's. If the people could be inspired to force the national government to be more socially responsible and active in other countries, it seems possible that "the Good Fight" could be won. However, if the apathy of today's youth continues (including myself) it is possible that "The Good Fight" of tomorrow could be lost.

1 comment: